Eriobotrya Japonica Loquat Tree also known as Japanese Plum

Eriobotrya Japonica Loquat Tree also is known as Japanese Plum - This is a closeup of a loquat tree in my backyard in Florida. It's the only fruit tree I know that bears fruit in early spring. Some years ago I invited Chinese friends over and told them to take all the loquats they wanted and they took every one! Like it was an incredible find. So I thought maybe they know something I don't. Yesterday I ate about 7 loquats fresh from the tree and an hour later as I was doing some yard work, I noticed the pain in my wrist (always there when I work) had disappeared. Must have been from the loquats! The tea from loquat leaves is the main ingredient in many cleansing teas, springtime teas for purifying the blood. I'll pluck some loquat leaves and make the tea this afternoon. Now I know why my Chinese friends were so excited about the loquats!





Loquat tree at my workplace. Pakistan


This fruit is edible it has delicious tangy flavor, sweet flesh, and delicious juices. Pear-shaped and slightly larger than a plum, the taste of the loquat fruit has been compared to a cross between mango and peach



If you don't have a loquat tree then hopefully a friendly neighbor has one. There delicious fruit are ripe now and as an extra benefit, it's large seeds can be used to make an amaretto-flavored liqueur. Woohoo!


My neighbor's loquat tree was growing over our pool deck, so I say that scoring a couple of these "Japanese plums" is fair game ;)



#fresh #local #organic #fruit #loquat #loquattree #paleo #urbanforaging #japaneseplum




Loquat tree full of fruit. Sometimes called a Japanese plum. It has a very large dark pit, with yellow flesh. Guavas are more plum shaped and have pink flesh. Both are delicious.




Our little backyard Loquat tree has fruited and they are sweet as can be! I’d never even heard of these until we moved here. Our current rental house has one in the backyard and I’m thrilled to have such fresh fruit for my family! The baby, especially, is crazy about them. I do peel the skin and cut it up for her, just to be safe. I read that the seeds are actually not safe to swallow. But they taste a lot like pear, but with the soft texture of maybe a peach. The skin is slightly fuzzy and just as sweet! What fruit or veggies are you picking right about now??




Animal studies show that this fruit's leaves have powerful antihistamine properties. I love the fruit, it used to grow in our garden! Wondering if it would make a nice jam...







Early this winter as everything else has been but the sweet smell and the Loquat trees are covered with pollinators!! Thank god for the Loquats as they supply pollen and nectar for a few weeks and the bees are covering the blooms up.



If you plant any flowering shrubs or small trees consider the Loquat as it gives great fruit also and supplies the pollinators with much-needed food this time of year.
My next favorite is the bottle brushes. They are blooming also.







My Loquat tree was blooming before November and carried its fruits to February. Look it is ready to eat. Sour sour!











 the leaves don't look quite right for loquat, but it's hard to tell from the photo. Nor is the loquat vouchered in Key West in the Atlas of Florida Plants. (Because the loquat is not vouchered does not necessarily mean that there are none in Key West; it just means they've not been officially verified.) Online, I found a Key West dicot tree replacement list and found 2 probable candidates: Pond Apple (Annona glabra) and Sevenyear Apple (Genipa clusifolia). Both can be found in the Atlas of Florida Plants and both are vouchered for Key West. I suspect the shrub / small tree is more likely one of the two.

No comments